Monday, December 1, 2008

The critque process and me

Ah the critique. At first the critques made me extremely nervous. Because I didn't feel at all comfortable with the films I had made, it was like I didn't even want to hear what people had to say about them. Since I made one whole film that wasn't terrible by my own standards, I'm still working on being able to accept critiques without getting upset about it.
I think Quinn and Krystin are right that the hats work well, but with less structure than having every single person assigned to a hat color. It is so frustrating to be a white hat and not be able to say anything positive, negative, emotional, or constructive. If we had more time for critiques they multi-colored hat approach might work better, but assigning positive and negative seems to be the best option. I like knowing that at least something positive will be said. There was one week when it felt like all the comments were negative, and it didn't motivate me or make me want to do better next time...not a great feeling! I like comments that address really specific things about a film, like the size of a certain shot working, and possibly bring in solutions or advice that could make the film better. It also helps when you try to buffer a negative comment with something positive. I think I'm getting better at receieving critques but it can be difficult to think of creative solutions for others' films, especially when we watch so many at once.

No comments: